Sunday, September 8, 2013

Amazing.

I really don't have many words for today's run other than, amazing. I had wanted to run the route for the 5K, but the Ironman is in town and cuts through the course. So I settled for a nearby state park. If any of you reading this know Blue Mounds State Park, you'll appreciate what I was able to accomplish.

3.1 miles, 31:28. Not the fastest I've done that distance in, but it was probably the hardest run I have done to date. Started at the top of the park and ran the road around the huge field in the middle. Headed down the hill towards the pool and camp sites. Past the pool and down the road to the camp sites. Hit the camp sites at about 1.5 miles (perfect timing) and turned around. Got back to the hill at the 2 mile mark. Started up the hill running. Really felt myself working for that one. Those of you who know this park, know that the hill isn't exactly small. It's a pretty good climb. Felt good, but had to slow to a walk maybe 1/2 way up. Probably walked another 1/4 of the way up than finished strong up the remaining quarter.

Back on the road at the top I started on, made another lap around the field, then decided I needed more. There are two observation towers at the park. One of them was just past the 3 mile mark. I decided to really push myself. I ran to the tower and then up it. I have no idea, nor do I care, what the people at the top thought. It felt awesome!

I also changed up my running music. I usually listen to a very energetic playlist, but not today. I asked a friend who runs what they listen to. He mentioned he listens to a Pandora channel based on Craig Armstrong, a Scottish composer. So, I gave it a try. Simply amazing. Classical/ambient music. Relaxing. Not focusing on words or crazy beats, I just felt more relaxed and started to find a zone. Never would have occurred to me to listen to something like this while running. Definitely going to use this on race day. While what I had been running to is good for warming up and getting pumped up, not so good for running.

Many challenges were put in front of me today, and I overcame them. Right now I'm feeling the best that I ever have after a run. It was the best I felt during the run. I think things are falling into place. Emotions are starting to show. Next Saturday is going to be good!

Don't forget, there is still time to put in a donation for the UW's Carbone Cancer Center! http://connect.uwhealth.org/goto/Robs_first_5k

 


No comments:

Post a Comment