Saturday, September 7, 2013

No One Fights Alone!

I don't think I've really touched on the topic yet of what has really driven me to to start running. This is really an extension of the great fitness journey that started just over a year ago. When I started out trying to get into shape, I never had any idea of where it could take me. I had no idea what would be coming my way to help increase that drive to do better. To do more.

About a year ago, I got an email from a friend. It really isn't the kind of e-mail you want to get. It had some not so great news in it. My friend had learned that she had just been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.What? Really? Are you kidding me? Now, I know that thyroid cancer isn't the worst thing a person can have, but really? Can't someone who's been fighting for a long time in so many ways get a break?

Just knowing the fight that was ahead and the battles that were already won, just gave me a bit of drive. If someone who as been thru so much has always come out on top, there's no reason why I can't work that much harder. While I might not have the same struggle, I still have my own battle to fight.

I'm really having a hard time writing this. It's actually taken me about 4 days so far. I guess the story of this is, people can do some amazing things when faced with adversity. My friend, even before she had surgery to remove her thyroid planned probably the most epic trip ever. A months trip to the South Pacific and New Zealand. Just the determination that she was GOING to do this was pretty amazing. Travel halfway around the world to parts unknown, right out of recovering from this thing, and living life to it's fullest. We can't live in fear. We have to take each day and live it to it's fullest. We can't be afraid to venture out of our comfort zones and try something new. Go somewhere exciting.

I really wish I was able to put into words what it is I'm trying to say. I guess what it is, is that no matter what it is your fighting for or against, you need to dig that much deeper and you will come out on top. You will win. You will survive. You will become stronger. You are never alone in your fight either. If you have friends, they will be there for you. You may never hear it, or hear it enough, but they are there. Surround yourself with those who care, who love, who support and who would go to the moon and back for you. The more people you have on your side, the more likely you are to succeed. The stronger you will become. You are not alone!

1 comment:

  1. She inspires me too. Life is not meant for one. We can only get the most of of this life by sharing it with amazing people we can trust and rely on.

    ReplyDelete