Friday, September 13, 2013

It's the final countdown!

In less than 24 hours, I will have run my first 5K race. Wow. Who would have ever thought I'd be doing something like this. Certainly not me. Last nights run really brought a lot of time for reflection, just looking back at how I've changed over the last year. Really amazing. Doors have been opened up, and I can only go up from here.

I have goals. This is not the end by any means. This may be the only race I participate in this year (although I am still looking to see if anything catches my eye). My next goal after tomorrow is to start getting ready for a 10K. Oh my, double the distance you say? Yes, it is. It's also about 4 times as high as it is here. Where is this magical place I speak of? Boulder Colorado. The Bolder Boulder 10K is the next one on my calendar. A big step in many ways. But I want it. I want to push myself. I am not going to be content with just doing the easy. I want something harder. It's going to be hard work, and I'm ready to accept the challenge. I have until Memorial Day weekend to get ready. Plenty of time. Not quite sure how I'm going to keep up with running in the winter, but I'll do my best.

But first things first. I feel ready for tomorrow. Just taking it easy and relaxing today. Trying to get the outside distractions out of my head.

There have been a lot of people who have helped me get where I am, and I am thankful for all of them. A year ago, a coworker was seeking out people to join his P90X challenge group. Sounded interesting enough, but I wasn't sure. I took the challenge and that was just the beginning. P90X, then P90X combined with Insanity. Now working on my third round of Les Mills Combat. Down just over 50 pounds in the last year, and feeling great! Gotta love my challenge group, what a great bunch of people!

Then there have been all my friends and family who have given me the strength to keep pushing on with all of their kind words. The comments left on my Facebook when I've posted updates either about my weight loss or running. You all have been so wonderful and supportive. Some have chosen to take their support a little farther and help contribute to my fundraising for this event, which is beyond awesome. Together we will find a way to stomp out cancer as we help help fund the research at UW-Madison.

I've already dedicated an entire post to the person who's determination to break through adversity, and not let health issues keep her down and keep her from living life to the fullest. When you chose not to live your life in fear anymore, it's really amazing what you can accomplish!

Then there is my wonderful wife. She's put up with a lot over the last year. Working with me to change the way we eat, adjusting to my workout schedules. Being there during the highs and lows of this entire change in my life. I'm sure at times she's thought I'm maybe a bit nuts doing all of this, but at the same time she's been able to see the enjoyment I get out of this. She's really been amazing and a source of great encouragement. And knowing that she is going to be getting up early on a Saturday to see me run really means the world.

Thank you everyone! Can't wait to post the results tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment